All posts by Jeff
Word like Fire
Happy Columbus Day
Let the Right One In
Showtime’s new version of “Let the Right One In” is a fantastic rethinking of the movie by the same name. Check it out if you want a classic and original vampire story.
The Great Rush Limbaugh
Powerful video from Anne Wilson – you have to watch it youtube.
LYRICS: Are you past the point of weary Is your burden weighing heavy Is it all too much to carry Let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus Do you feel that empty feeling ‘Cause shame’s done all its stealing And you’re desperate for some healing Let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus
He makes a way where there ain’t no way Rises up from an empty grave Ain’t no sinner that He can’t save Let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus His love is strong and His grace is free And the good news is I know that He Can do for you what He’s done for me Let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus And let my Jesus change your life Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, amen, amen
Who can wipe away the tears From broken dreams and wasted years And tell the past to disappear Let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus And all the wrong turns that you would Go and undo if you could Who can work it all for your good Let me tell you about my Jesus
Who would take my cross to Calvary Pay the price for all my guilty Who would care that much about me Let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus
Duncan Trussell and Lex Fridman
Since my 8-year-old daughter routinely takes over my cell phone, my youtube subscriptions are way out of wack. For my old sanity, here is an easy go-to list of some of my favorite youtube channels for my own fast access. Feel free to enjoy them as well!
- Jeff Burden – Please subscribe to my channel!
- The Council of Trent – By Trent Horn
- How To be Christian – Ferris
- Jimmy Akin –
- Knights of Columbus –
- C.S. Lewis Doodles –
News, Sports, and Current Events
- Active Self-Protection –
- Andrew Klavan
- Art Bell Show | Art Bell on Periscope
- Ben Shapiro Show
- Joe Rogan Clips
- Rekieta Law –
- Pat McAfee Show –
- Jim Rome Show –
- Lex Fridman –
- Jomboy Media –
Television and Entertainment
- Always Sunny Podcast
- National Geographic –
- History Channel –
- Film Herald –
- Key and Peele –
- Nerdstalgic –
- Sam the Cooking Guy –
- The People’s Court –
True Crime and Mystery
- Crash Course –
- MIT lectures on Psychology
- Clinical Psychology: A Very Short Introduction by Susan Llewelyn
- Dr. Kristen Casey, Psy.D
Detroit Based Shows
- The Drew and Mike Show – Off Youtube
- The Detroit Cast – Mike Walters
- The Drew Cast (Archived Show)
I want to teach Pope Francis to do a wheelie.
The Declaration of Independence
IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
- He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
- He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
- He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
- He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
- He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
- He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
- He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
- He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.
- He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
- He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.
- He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
- He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.
- He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
- For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
- For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
- For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
- For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
- For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:
- For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:
- For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies
- For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
- For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
- He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
- He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
- He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
- He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
- He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.
We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
Be like Calvin’s Dad
Feast of the Sacred Heart
Happy Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus!
Roe V. Wade overturned in 6-3 Supreme Court Decision.
HUGE Win For The Second Amendment
Draymond Green is a Champ Again!
“The Warriors have been crowned champions of the NBA for the fourth time in eight years after defeating the Boston Celtics 103-90 in Game 6. After trailing early, Golden State went on a historic 21-0 run in the first half and never looked back, with Steph Curry making a team-high 34 points for the night. Here’s how the game unfolded.” – NBA.com
Comic Con Legos from my daughter, Makenna
Every year Makenna goes to Comic Con, and she gets me a cool lego character.
The Story Behind the Fish-sticks Episode
Bill Hader talks with the New Yorker deputy editor of Talk of the Town, Lizzie Widdicombe, on what it’s like working for “South Park” and coming up with the Kanye West fish-sticks episode.